So I just became 34 weeks pregnant yesterday (Friday) and with that came a lot of fun!!! I started contracting every 2 minutes at 10:15. I have a medication called terbutaline to stop them. I called my doctor at 11:09 to make sure this is what she wanted me to do, she of course said yes and that they should slow down and stop with in an hour. Yeah right I let 2 hours go by they did slow a little, so I was having them every 4-5 minutes now. So again I call her at 1:00 to tell her they haven't stopped. I can only take the medication every 4-6 hours. So James and I called the neighbor and had her come stay with the kids and made the dreaded drive up to the hospital. On the way up there they started to come every 2-3 minutes and by the time we got there they were back to every 2 minutes and they hurt.
It took them awhile to get me set up in a room and I got to put on a beautiful hospital gown. Then in comes the nurse Roxy!! She says that she is going to hook me up to the monitors to track my contractions and listen to the babies heart rate and beat. Then she said we are going to check you for dilation (always a fun process). She tries to check and when unsuccessful, shoves her ENTIRE arm up my crotch, and she had the biggest man hands like the incredible hulk, no joke. I was in so much pain I could have kick her across the room. So James says to her if you are going to go that far at least buy her a drink first. So at only one centimeter dilated she gave me a shot of the terbutaline to try to stop my contractions. My doctor came in and told me we had to take a pill to help lower blood pressure, go through one IV bag and get a shot to help mature the babies lungs. Next came my IV, the nurse says I am so good at these, as she drives the needle in my hand she can't find the vein she said she just had. She continued to wiggle it around for minutes, I could have passed out. It was the worst IV I have ever had in my life. As my hand swells with IV fluid she said your hand is going to be bruised, like the whole thing. Then came the shot to mature the babies lungs. I was cool with that to try to help him stay out of the NICU, until I found out in was going into my butt with a giant needle, and she said this one hurts and it hurts for a long time!! She told me to roll over and wiggle my feet, so I did and BAM came the shock down my whole body. And she says don't move as she SLOWLY pushes the medication in, it lasted like 30 seconds, and then tells me I have to come in Sunday for another one in the other cheek. What a fun night right.
So at 5:00 I got a new nurse managed to get 1 1/2 hours of sleep, they still couldn't stop the contractions. I told them to take the IV out of my hand that hurt way worse than the contractions or anything else I had gone through that night, and they fought me about it but finally did. So at 7:00 they asked if I would like to go home and see if rest and fluids would stop the contractions from home. I gladly took that offer and then slept form 9-12:30 and feel like crap today. So anyone who wishes for their baby to come out a little early, it wasn't fun and they want him to try to stay in 1 to 2 more weeks. We shall she what will happen. If he decides he really wants out, he will come out!!
If Sam can blog...So can I
12 years ago




4 comments:
Holy Honey! You are one tough cookie. You do seem to run like clock work dont you- guess it wont be long until that boy is out playing with the rest of us. Let me know if you need anything.
PS Though I am sorry you went through that- it was pretty entertaining.
I am so sorry hun! I am glad you got some sleep once you got home. Call me if you need anything:)
OH NO. This post was like flashbacks to April 2005, the terbutaline, the steroid shots, the IV's, and everyone grabbing a limb (or a butt) and shoving a needle into it. I am so sorry you got Hulk hands nurse, when I was in labor there were two nurses there that were too dumb to figure out how to check a cervix and between the two of them checked 8 times in one hour. I told them to send the janitor in, he could figure it out better than they could!! :) Oh my goodness, hang in there, at least you got to come home! Bed rest in the hospital is much worse, believe you me. I hope things settle down and you get some rest and keep cookin' that baby boy!! Keep us updated!
Well said.
Post a Comment