Monday, February 20, 2012

Decklan Rhodes Shannon

He is HERE!!!  Born 2/15/2012 @ 7:00 a.m. weighing 6 lbs 10 oz and 19 inches long.  Best news of all, he didn't have to go to the NICU!!!

Story(mostly for my memory):

I went to Zumba Monday night after not going for 4 weeks (because I was told I couldn't by my doctor) and it felt so good.  Felt a little sore on Tuesday but was pretty good by the afternoon.  We went about our normal business and walked around the neighborhood to pass out some Valentine's for some of the kids.  After that I went about our normal day and James even came home a little early and brought me and Madyson some goodies.  I noticed I was having sporadic contractions throughout the day but that's pretty normal for me and got ready for bed.  At about 8:30 as I was laying in bed they were getting closer together and stronger.  I told myself I wasn't going to the hospital again unless it was to have the baby, so of course I waited and waited and waited!  I was timing them and they were 2 minutes apart and about 35-45 seconds in length.  I took a bath, made sure to drink lots of water and walked, laid down and sat to try different positions to see if they would slow or stop.  By the time I got dressed and was thinking about going in it was midnight and the contractions were hurting pretty bad.  I got a hold of my neighbor who so kindly came over at about 1 a.m.  We got to the hospital and checked in around 1:30.  At that point I was in quite a bit of pain.  I went into the room to get checked and was at a 4 1/2, but was starting to bleed quite a bit.  They were concerned but not sure what was causing it.  They got me moved to my room and set up with an IV (which o course they couldn't get on the first try), gave me some terbutaline (which stops contractions) to slow them because they were too on top of each other, and ordered my epidural (the guy was amazing!!!)  After all that was done I could relax a little or so I thought!  Decklan's heart started to beat too fast and so they put me on oxygen to try to see if that would help.  It didn't help but after about 2 hours finally went back to normal.  I got stuck I guess you could say at a 7 for about 2-3 hours and she checked me again once his heart rate went down to see about giving me pitocin to get him out and I was at a 10.  The doctor was called and when she got there they had everything ready to go.  I pushed 5 times with 2 contractions and out he came face up of course (he couldn't cut me a break anywhere).  He came out with dark hair and pretty big.  I cut the cord and they took him over to get all checked out.  He was perfect!  They did find out why I was bleeding after looking at my placenta it had ruptured on one part.  I'm so glad I got up to the hospital in time!!  We went home on Friday morning and he got to meet his siblings or the first time.  We are doing well and I hope to get some pictures up some time.  Having a baby and 3 kids is a lot of work even with my mom here.

1 comments:

Mark & Shalon said...

Congratulations! I like reading 'the story' so thanks for posting! I always wondered what the stuff was called that stops/slows down contractions. They gave it to me when I had Owen and I never knew what it was called. And everyone else I had talked to had only heard of pitocin. I'm glad that you and Decklan are home and doing well! Enjoy your cute new baby!